Sunday, August 14, 2011

from drab to fab: two goodwill finds!

last week, I decided to find out once and for all where the closest Goodwill was located (lucky for me, a Fairfax location JUST opened at the beginning of August!). I've had the "refinishing bug" for the past couple weeks, and wanted to see what I could find for my next project. my trip ended up being a huge success! I found an unusual little table with a lot of potential for $25, and picked up a wooden shelf with hooks for $4 and a small jewelry box for $5. I also lucked out big-time with a $20 end table in like-new condition that matches our coffee table and TV stand perfectly! to top it all off, I befriended a really cute old man, which pretty much made my day.

after a trip to Lowe's to pick up a new can of paint, I headed home to start working on this little gem:



I started off with a tan base coat (the same base color I used on my last project). after letting that dry and applying the crackle glaze, I used a really pretty ivory color called Antique Lace on top. Then, I made a trip to Homegoods for some fun accessories, and voila! I was so happy with the results, and am loving having this little table to fill up an empty space in our dining room area.







I also decided to beautify this little blue jewelry box:



I've been wanting a new jewelry box that looks a little less grandma than the one I have, so I was pretty excited to find this little guy (and for only $5!). the size of it is perfect for my dresser and I love the antique look. so easy & cheap!

3 comments:

  1. That little table is so cute! And you did a great job refinishing it! I've got a little spot in my living room that still needs a little something in it, so I've been going to Goodwill at least once a week. Im holding out for just the right piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Aimee! I read one of your posts about shopping for "potential" at thrift stores and it REALLY helped--you're a pro! :) thrifting is pretty addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great finds! I always go thrifting hoping to find something amazing and usually leave empty-handed! When I read about others' successes it motivates me to keep looking, though.

    ReplyDelete