Monday, August 15, 2011

floral frenzy!

I've been seeing floral embellishments like this one making appearances on quite a few blogs recently, and I think they're adorable (ps: don't you just love that bag?). I love the idea of sprucing something simple up with a classy little flower, so when I was out running errands today, I stopped at Michael's to see if I could pick up a few to experiment with. I found a neutral-colored pair of floral embellishments right in the scrapbooking section (look for the brand Jolee's Boutique--they have plenty to choose from!). they were only $3.99, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try them out!

I decided to use one of the flowers on a small lampshade I bought at Ross for $4.99 awhile ago. I used the sticky adhesive on the back of the flower (there was also a twisty-tie type thing on the back, perfect for attaching it to a purse strap or basket handle!). instant cuteness.



I'm still working on showcasing more of our wedding photos, so I also picked up a simple frame on clearance at Homegoods today for $5. add another little flower, and simple becomes shabby chic--or something along those lines :)



if you're feeling crafty, you might try these tips for making your own embellishments: this tutorial shows how to make easy felt flower embellishments, and this one explains how to make a flower using frayed fabric (sewing machine required). if you feel like splurging on handcrafted pieces, or want them in large quantities, you might try etsy for listings like this one!

just thought I'd share a super easy way to personalize some "plain" decorations you might have lying around!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the flower on the picture frame! I never would have thought to do that, but it looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete